I’m now a full week and half into this truck project, and it’s a wonder I have made it this far with all of the hurdles and hoops I have had to jump through just to get this project going. Inspections, insurance, licensing – all of the noncreative, no-fun stuff that has to be done before moving forward with my creative vision. I think we’re on the home stretch with the boring stuff, so now comes more fun things – like demo! Jackson got rained out from work this week and since it was unusually cold for July, I figured it would be a good day to work on the interior of the truck. So after some begging persuasion, Jackson drug out the grinder, sawzall, sledge hammer and pry bars and got to work removing the driver side bench and cabinet. I helped when I could, but really I was just supervising most of the time.

Safety first

Safety first

Jackson assessing the situation

Jackson assessing the situation

Finally loose!

Finally loose!

 

All clear!

All clear!

The next step will be sanding all of the wall surface so it can be primed and painted. Speaking of paint, I recently discovered that you cannot have Rust-oleum oil based paint tinted like you can regular interior paint. Not being one to let that stop me, I set about experimenting with mixing my own paint using the standard colors available and most importantly using up the multiple gallons of “gloss white” and “smoke gray” I already had on hand (because, hey, we’re on a tight budget here!). I picked up one $10 can of “gloss sand” at Westlake which proved to be the key ingredient for making the perfect warmer shade of white and greige. I did a test patch on the cabinet that came out of the truck and it covered well. Unfortunately, before I can begin painting the interior, the exterior  has to be painted first, and I’m still debating on how that will get done (DIY vs paid professional). So wish me luck with figuring that out!

A successful experiment!

A successful experiment!